Monday, January 4, 2010

A Great Day in New Haven


Yesterday, I went to New Haven to see the exhibition "Mrs. Delany and Her Circle" at the Yale Center for British Art. I had been told by a friend that it was a must see - Thanks Linda. And, it was in the back of my mind. Yesterday morning I checked the website only to find out that - that was the last day. So, off I went - to New Haven via Metro North. It was snowy and blustery in NH. The museum charged no admission - yeah!!!!! I rushed up to the show and I was really blown away. Mrs. (Mary) Delany's colors are so lush. She had to make them herself; there were no commercial paints at that time.

She called her work 'paper mosaicks.' Her paper was thinner than the paper I use. It was often hard to see that it was collaged. I really love the black backgrounds. The black makes the colors sing.

These two images - I scanned from the exhibition book - which I HAD to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment