Sunday, February 7, 2010

New Work

As you know, I have been playing around with found source collages. I recently went to the "Playing with Pictures: The Art of Victorian Photocollage" which I absolutely flipped over. I received a couple of catalogs in the mail: Restoration Hardware and Land's End.


I really like the Restoration Hardware catalogbecause all the pages show domestic interiors - although very opulent and arrogantly arty. There is even a page where they made an easel into a support for a flat screen TV. (Ugh!) Collaging into these catalogs seems natural and made me think about the Victorian albums. (I wonder what those women would think if they saw their work in the Metropolitan Museum of Art?) The idea of "woman's work" and the place between art and craft - that these works traditionally occupied - is something I relate to. I feel that I wander around that space too. My work being small and about paper dolls.

Here are a few pages:



No comments:

Post a Comment